Sunday, June 27, 2010

José Theodore Won't Return to Caps


Capitals Insider article by Tarik El-Bashir, June 23, 2010.

Moments after a misty-eyed speech here in Las Vegas while accepting the Bill Masterton Trophy, José Theodore confirmed to me that GM George McPhee called recently to inform the veteran goal that he won't be re-signed by the Caps.

"We had a good talk," Theodore said. "I enjoyed my time in Washington. Two great years. Winning percentage, stats-wise, it was fun to play for the Caps. But things in the new NHL, they are, they're going to go with the young kids [Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth] and I respect that."

"I have nothing but good words to say about this city, especially the fans and the organization," he added. "With the way I finished last year, I'm just looking forward to next season."

Theodore said he does not know where he'll end up but quickly added that he's not ready to be a mentor or a backup.

"We're going to see on July 1," he said. "There's going to be a few openings. I'm just going to see which one fits the best. I'm not ready for that mentoring job. The last few years I've been playing 50 or more games. I still feel like I can play 50 games. I feel I can mentor the best I can, but I still want to play."

I'm sad that José won't be staying in Washington. But I really hope he can find a starting position somewhere else for a few more years. He will be 34 at the beginning of next season. I have not had my fill of José's awesome saves yet!!! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments are not approved.