Friday, December 13, 2013

English Translation of One of Yesterday's Interview

Thanks so so much to Val for translating the one-on-one interview with José yesterday.

Here's the interview again:
http://tvasports.ca/videos/video-je-voulais-me-rapprocher-du-public-theodore

And from Val: “The stuff in ( ) is what I think it should be like other than a direct translation it’s what I feel makes more sense in English.” 

So keep in that in mind. I really appreciate that, Val, because sometimes direct translations don’t make as much sense.

Guy: Talk to us about your desire to be a commentator/analyst and everything that goes with it.

José: Since I left Montreal, it has been quite a while that I wanted to get closer to the fans here. I had such a good relationship with the people here during my time here (with the team) now I felt like I lost touch. I often watch the games and listen to the comments, and I saw it from a different perspective (while not playing), and I wanted to bring my corrections and commentaries. And really it’s mostly to reconnect with the people (fans) because it’s been a long time since I left Montreal. It’s going to be a great experience for me, it will be a challenge. I’ve played hockey all my life but now it’s a new challenge for me.

Guy: We say often that the media are too harsh that they don’t really know the game. Do you find it difficult to criticize, let’s say to say that a goalie lacks speed, execution, etc… You’re not afraid to criticize?

José: No, my goal is to bring corrections and often, being a goalie, I find that often people don’t (fully) really know (but one could say understand also) the position of goalie properly, and that’s where I can bring a correction. Sometimes a goal that can look weak, from my point of view it’s a really good goal and vice versa. But if it’s a bad goal I won’t say it’s a good goal. I’ve been criticized for bad goals so my aim is simply to be fair, and the people want an analyst that’s honest and that’s what I have to bring.

The guy says something along the line of bringing something to the table that the average fan doesn’t understand.

José: Yes, and from a mental (psychological) point of view as well. I played 10 years here in Montreal, I had some amazing seasons and some not so great. I experienced some ups and downs. So when we talk about a goalie and the pressure here in Montreal and how the goalie feels after a bad goal or a bad game, of course I believe I’m well suited to give the fans some insight on the game.

Guy: You’re leaving one NHL team to join another type of team and you know a few people here.

José: Yes, I know pretty much everyone here, and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to join the TVA Sports team. But again it’s a new challenge. I’m excited, and at the same time I’m nervous, anxious to meet everyone and improve because this isn’t something I’ve studied. I’m just excited to give my little 2 cents (direct translation is a grain of salt.)

Guy: This is not a retirement but from what I understand this is your Plan B when you do retire, or you’re leaning towards this?

José: Yes, this is something I’ve wanted to do for several years now. I’ve been watching a lot of my friends who are on TV (now). It’s not retirement. It’s basically that right now, as you said, it’s a post-career prep. I’m sure that this will be something that I will really enjoy for a long time.

Guy: Good luck and welcome to this side of the fence.

José: Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments are not approved.