Sunday, October 3, 2010

Unfortunately, I feel the need to defend myself

I'm a little confused right now. I'm not sure why some guys over at SB Nation feel the need to make fun of me in their articles. There have been two different writers on the site this past week that have linked to my site in their articles and on one twitter account and referred to me as obsessive and a stalker.

First of all, this is a fan site. There are thousands of fan sites out there for thousands of athletes. I'm not sure why mine has been singled out. I have a male friend who had a Mark Grace fan site when he was in high school. Did that make him obsessive or a stalker?

I became a fan of José this past summer (before I even saw a photo) when I read the story of why he was a candidate for the Masterton Trophy. That story really struck a chord with me, and when I saw the Awards show and how he handled everything, it just solidified my admiration.

And yes, I think that he's a good-looking guy. So I make comments about that sometimes, as many women do about men they find attractive. But that's not why I'm a fan, and it's all in fun.

I don't feel that admiration is creepy or weird as these guys try to make it seem, and I'm certainly not a stalker. Do these guys even know what that means? That's a horrible thing to say about someone.

Everything on my sites is written in good fun. It's tongue-in-cheek. I don't actually want to be with José in any real sense. I'm a happily married woman and my husband is aware of me being a José fan. He doesn't have a problem with it, so I don't know why these guys do.

When I became a José fan, I had trouble finding information on the internet about him. Everything I found was about Paris Hilton, Propecia, or his family's legal troubles. The fan sites that I'm sure were out there during his heyday in Montreal had fallen by the wayside (or maybe I couldn't find them because they were in French.) Either way, I thought it would be nice to have a place on the internet where other José fans could go to find articles, facts, interviews, video highlights, etc. in one place. I don't think this makes me obsessive. When I find something I find interesting and think someone else might find interesting, then I post it. I don't spend every waking hour thinking about José or writing about him or posting about him.

I'm really aggravated that I even feel like I have to defend myself. I don't think I'm the one being silly here. But I do feel the need to defend myself, so I have.

I made a conscious decision to not post anything back to the two writers that did this. I'm not even going to post their names. But if they read this or if someone tells them about it, because I can see I'm getting traffic from their articles, then I would hope they would realize what they've done is hurtful and mean.

My sites are for fun. I don't write anything in them that I would be embarrassed for José to read himself. I think the guy is aware that some women find him attractive. I don't think that's a shocker to him.

I would simply ask that these sports writers would just write their articles and leave me out of it. I don't know what I possibly could have done to piss them off so badly that they felt the need to try to embarrass me.

By the way, I'm not embarrassed, because I don't feel my sites are untoward. What I am is angry.

4 comments:

  1. WTF?! Your blog on Jose is nowhere near obsessive/stalker. I don't see how this is any different on guys having websites devoted to NFL cheerleaders. Or Anna Kornikova however her name is spelled. It's time the male dominated world of hockey realizes that it has female fans - fans that appreciate their skill and looks. And what's wrong with liking someone for their looks? I'd like to see any male say they get Playboy just for the articles.

    And how is your blog worse than my notorious Henrik Lundqvist one? I swear mine is way more over the top and outrageous than yours! What a bunch of douches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support. ;o) It was pretty disappointing when I found out what they'd written. :( But it's not going to stop me from blogging. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hunting and found some great Jose pics and art. http://fc08.deviantart.net/images3/i/2004/128/0/f/60__Jose_Theodore.jpg That digital painting is amazing.

    Wallpaper from when he was with the Avs http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs30/f/2008/070/d/0/Jose_Theodore_Wallpaper_by_Sim25_Design.jpg

    Closeup of Jose in mask http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs29/i/2008/119/9/9/Theodore_by_Sixxxty.png

    http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/52950220.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD67700C4E84DC9656316FE78D6492F0920722EA116F6F2AC24E9C89C783688B46 This one kills me. He's so young! If the link won't work, go to gettyimages.com search for jose theodore in editorial images.

    He looks so badass in this one! http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/2751662.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDF9B70F0972BFDF44791ACAD4D3B3F93F8363A394CCD72981

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for the links! I had seen all of these except the Getty image one. That seems to be from when Canada won gold in the 1996 World Junior Championships. He won Best Goaltender and Tournament All-Star honors. He would've been about 20 there, so he was pretty young.

    Thanks so much for the links. I think I need to fix it so that links show up in comments...or is that not possible...

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments are not approved.