Monday, May 16, 2011

Theo's Number is One of Those Retired by the Olympiques

Thanks to Berni for sending me a couple of fun photos today and reminding me of something I hadn't written about before.

José played in 1994-96 for the Hull Olympiques (now the Gatineau Olympiques) of the QMJHL. Here's what the NHLPA's site had to say about his time there:

"After one more campaign with St. Jean, Theodore went on to have a monster 1994 season. Not only was he drafted by the Montreal Canadiens (44th overall), but he also found himself on a new QMJHL team, the Hull Olympiques.

Theodore responded with a stellar 1994-95 campaign, winning 32 games and earning five shutouts, including one in his very first game with Hull.

During his time with Hull, Theodore won numerous awards, including the Ford Cup as the 1995 Defensive Player of the Year, the Guy Lafleur Trophy as the Defensive Player of the Playoffs. Four years later, he was named to the Olympiques All-Time All-Star team.

On February 28, 2003, Theodore’s No. 33 was retired by the team in an emotional ceremony at Hull’s home arena.

'It is something I will always remember,' said Theodore. 'It was a great feeling and a true honour for me. I had a great time in Hull and it was something I never expected to happen.'"





No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments are not approved.