Monday, January 17, 2011

José skated and will be on road trip

Here was the update from the Wild practice today from Kent Youngblood since Mike Russo is already on the road. Note that he said José injured his groin. It started out they said "lower body soreness", but then everyone kept saying it was a hip injury. So is it a groin or hip injury?

Theodore skates
Posted by Kent Youngblood
Last update: January 17, 2011 - 3:31 PM

Greetings. Youngblood here. I had practice today with Michael on his way to Edmonton.

Well, this was one of the most optional skates I've seen in a while. There were four skaters -- Bouchard, Stoner, Spurgeon and Staubitz -- on the ice along with goalies Backstrom and Theodore. There were more coaches on the ice than skaters.
Here is what I gleaned afterward:

1. Theodore felt good in his first time skating in a practice since injuring his groin. He went about 85 percent for about 20 minutes and emerged unscathed. He will accompany the team on the trip, hope to get in one or two more skates with the team and hopefully be available by the end of the trip.

2. Backstrom (hip) said he's ready to go. With Theodore still on the mend, and games on back-to-back nights looming in Edmonton and Calgary, it looks like Khudobin will get another start. Coach Todd Richards said he'd make up his mind who'd get the start Tuesday in Edmonton. I'm betting Backstrom plays in Calgary.

3. Once again uneven play has forced the Wild into a must-succeed situation on the road. Richards said he's confident after seeing his team play well for six consecutive periods against Colorado and Vancouver. Granted the team lost to the Avalanche, but Richards thought his team played well in both that game and again Sunday.

4. Richards said if Marco Scandella recovers quickly from his concussion he could join the team for the back end of the upcoming trip.

5. The Wild called up forward Cody Almond from Houston to give it some insurance on the long trip. But the team is heading out with just six defensemen.

6. Wild prospect Darcy Kuemper of the Red Deer Rebels was named the WHL player of the week. The goalie posted a 3-0-0-0 road record this past week with two shutouts, stopping 85 of 86 shots for a 0.32 goals-against average and a .988 save %. Kuemper was taken in the sixth round of the 2009 draft by the Wild.


6 comments:

  1. I don't think hockey teams are noted for their clarity or openness about injury reports. My theory is they don't want opponents to know what to target with shoulders, wrists, ankles, feet. But by the time anyone targets a groin, they'll probably have either drawn a penalty or ended up in a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get all medical student on this post?

    (I will anyway, haha)

    The groin is composed by a group of five muscles, that are known as the adductor muscles or hip flexors, so a groin pull would be a sort of hip injury, since there's trouble with hip flexing. Personally, I injured my adductor longus a month ago (I think I told you about it?), and it hurt a shitload, and made it hard for me to raise my legs (therefore, flexing my hip). :)

    Now, back to Theo. YAY HE'S BETTER. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, excellent information. I didn't realize the groin was so extensive. I thought it was more...well, you know, right there. So that makes more sense now.

    Thanks for getting all med student on this post, because it was very helpful. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I even opened my big anatomy book, because I couldn't remember how many muscles and I just needed to get it right haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I bet if you ever have that question on an exam, you'll think of Theo and get it right! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup! Bad thing is that I just realized I might have to study some before getting back to school... brain is a little mushy from too much doing nothing, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments are not approved.