Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Remember When José Scored a Goal?

Since it's the week of Christmas, and there is nothing going on here at work, let's walk down memory lane.

On January 3, 2001 while José was playing with the Montreal Canadiens, he scored a goal AND recorded the 3-0 shutout.

This is a photo taken after the game (thanks to Valentina for finding that for me!)

There have only been 6 times in the NHL when a goalie has scored a goal by shooting the puck directly into the net (a few others have been credited with goals after an opponent scored on their own goal.)

Those who have done it were Ron Hextall (once in 1987 and again in 1989), Chris Osgood in 1996, Martin Brodeur in 1997,  Theo in 2001, and Evgeni Nabokov in 2002.

I wish there was a better video of José's goal than this. If anyone can find one online, please let me know. (Plus it's annoying, because the announcers mispronounce Theodore! And you know how much I hate that.) I know there is a different video of it, because I've seen  it on "The Lighter Side of Hockey" DVD I got this year, but I can't find it online anywhere.


Here's the video with the celebration included at end...still crappy quality though. :(

5 comments:

  1. At least they pronounced his given name right...even if they butchered the family name

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZ6EtLQQXo this one has the celebration, but its shit quality

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The quality is pretty poor on both of them. Darn, I wish nhl.com would have the video. I tried to find it in the archives, but couldn't...thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @miseenjeu I am also glad they pronounced José correctly. At least that's something! Although I don't think I've ever heard an announcer say Ho-say? Have you? Usually they get that right...people outside hockey I've heard call him Ho-say, but not in hockey. If they have, they should be flogged!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd guess both videos were loaded at low resolution. I think clips became higher quality when is became customary to broadcast in HD

    ReplyDelete

Spam comments are not approved.